Using a Blog to Promote Your Book
Having a blog established to promote your book is important- but it is even more important to start developing blog content several months before your book launches, similar to when you should start developing content for your social media accounts.
Having a blog is a great way to inform your readers about events, giveaways, and updates on upcoming books. Your blog can be considered your main source for updates and information and then be promoted through your social media profiles.
While your blog can be used for book specific information, it should also be used to share other information and news related to you or your book topic. Be sure to write about what your audience is interested in.
Here are some ideas on how you can use a blog to promote your book.
- Make Sure your Blog is Ready
You don’t want visitors to land on your site and see an outdated page with broken links or pictures that won’t load. Be sure that all information is up to date, pages load properly and your posts are free of spelling and grammatical errors. If you don’t have a blog yet – WordPress is a great place to start.
- Write for your Readers Readers want to know more about the author and your books. Think about what people reading your books would enjoy reading. Once you’ve established who your readers are and what content best fits them, you can inject keywords into your blog content. This will help potential readers find you when searching for related content on the Internet.
- Plan your Content You should plan book-related content for your blog. Below are some ideas on what to write about and share on your blog. These ideas are also great to share on your social media accounts.
- Post Relevant Content – Add relevant and informative posts to your accounts that aren’t constantly pushing your audience to buy a copy of your book. Sharing news articles about your book topic or something interesting about the literary field in general are great posts. You don’t want to flood your audience with posts only about your book.
- Excerpts from your book
- Book reviews
- Your inspiration for the book
- Interviews with your characters
- Bonus material – such as downloadable short stories
- Interesting facts about your characters
- Upcoming events and book signings
- Giveaways and contests
Once you have some solid content planned out, you can also run competitions, post images that inspired your book, and feature guest bloggers. Developing current and relevant content for all of your blog and social media accounts should be a crucial step in your marketing strategy.